From:
Ed Potter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 18:32:28 +0100
I was also present last night, and I thought it was the finest Mahler
performance of the RPO's season...  Sinopoli was terrific...  the surging
energy at the end of the first part was truly incredible.  The choirs,
too, performed outstandingly - looking round the hall at the end of the
performance, I was stunned to see the Albert Hall possibly the fullest
I have ever seen it (both on and off stage).

I will not be going to the RFH either, mainly because I did not know the
work was being performed there, but now I do, I find it hard to believe
that the RPO's rendition could be improved upon.  I also work at the
Festival Hall, and I cannot imagine that the same effect as that of last
night could be captured there.

Ed Potter:)