From:
Franco Carreri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 23:35:13 +0100
Aaron Rabushka <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The version of the Stravinsky/Segovia encounter that I heard involved
>Stravinsky's telling Segovia that he wanted to write a guitar work for him
>and Segovia's totally rejecting the offer since he didn't like Stravinsky's
>work. As I understand things many guitarists now curse Segovia for that.

I understand the sentiment Segnore Pezzimente expressed when you mentioned
'Recuerdos Della AlHambra'.  He certainly would have appreciated a Bagatel
or two for guitar by Stravinski.  The thing is.  'Alhambra is part of the
repertory that has led to the classical guitar as being described as
"beautiful".  Many classical guitar listeners find anything other an
abomination.  After a couple of years of playing beautiful music, I too was
ready for something a little more tarty.  In fact, why don't you pen out
a couple of tarty bagatels? If they are not too long, I will perform and
record them at 16bit, 44.1K and send them back to you as a stereo .WAV
file, or on CD.  How about something not more than 1 or 2 minutes? If it
can be played, I can play it.

I have a very bombastic style of playing.  When annotated 'mezzo forte' I
play 'forte'.  When 'forte', 'molto forte'.  I can break strings before my
finger nails break - the envy of many a guitarist I can tell you.

Franco