From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 14:08:03 +1000
Don Satz, presumably wearing his armour and helmet, announced:

>I've decided to take the plunge into Rachmaninov's symphonies..

and asked for recommendations.  I like the Ashkenazy versions with
the Concertgebouw on Decca (London in US?) which include his little
one-movement Brucknerian Youth Symphony.  A friend recently picked up the
Ormandy versions which don't quite come with a free set of steak knives,
but they are very cheap.  Ormandy had - and still has - his detractors
but IMO his way with Rachmaninov better than most.  Whoever you buy,
many people have done cut-and-paste jobs on the 2nd, so care is advised.

Richard Pennycuick