From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 16:21:27 -0700
Gotta get my two Mahler cents in:

Cent 1:  I really discovered Mahler for the first time with the cool
(if not excellent) set on Conifer Classics with Gilbert Kaplan (a Mahler
scholar, not a professional conductor) and I think the LSO.  The set
includes a CD-ROM with pictures et al, some Mahler plays Mahler piano
rolls, and the whole Sym 2, plus a facsimile of the original score, and
a thick little book about the symphony, its composition and development,
performance standards and practices, Mahler's comments on Sym 2, and for
dessert, a bunch of correspondence between Mahler and his compadres from
the time he composed Sym 2, including R.  Strauss, Humperdinck, et al.
It's really too cool.  The worst part is that, on the 2 CD set, the 1st
movement is on the end of CD1 and the rest begins CD2.  Annoying.  But
worth it.

Cent 2:  Mahler has fascinated me since.  I still hold No.  2 dear, with
the fave probably being (agreeing w.  Mr.  Satz) No.  4.

Reccomendations of recordings of Sym 4?  (With soloists names please?)

Bob K.