From:
John Dalmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 16:52:57 -0400
Deryk Barker wrote of Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra:

>You should know this title was in fact imposed upon the work by the BBC.

What title? What BBC?

Deryk, I am certain you know the BBC had nothing to do with the work's
provenance.  The film was commissioned in 1945 by the British Ministry
of Education and produced that year by the Crown Film Unit.  You may
be alluding to events surrounding the work's concert premiere late the
following year, I believe in October.  The work's original title was
"Instruments of the Orchestra."

John Dalmas