From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 May 1999 15:38:29 -0400
John Deacon kindly forwarded a (London) Times article concerning Mahler
(the thrust of which is tipped by the subject line, above).

The writer has something, I agree, when he ascribes to Mahler's music a
heaven-storming pace and quality that should appeal to all kids, even those
of middle age.  He's also plausible when he dubs Mahler as the last of the
great composers.  Of course, the practiced ear will have no trouble with
the overtones to this organ-blast of a statement.  Anyway, a few years ago
I attended a performance of the 8th at the Philharmonie here in Munich.
Maazel was the conductor and the forces at his disposal numbered around
eight hundred.  The hall, which is modern and acoustically well made,
handled the sound splendidly.  A musical experience, I warrant you, that
convinced me at least temporarily that Mahlker was, indeed, the last of
the great ones!

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]