From:
Kenneth Robert McGuire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 May 1999 09:10:07 -0400
Sam Pawlett wrote:

>So far in my short time on this list, I haven't heard Zino Francescatti or
>the Manhatten String Quartet mentioned.  Any opinions on these artists?
>especially the Manhatten's Shostakovich cycle.

MSQ's Shostakovich I would rate as fair.  However, there are many other
options available which are at least as good or better for a cheaper price.
I have heard great things about the Borodin Quartet cycle, but I don't know
it.  The Eder Quartet on Naxos seems to be at least as good as Manhatten.

I have had the opportunity to hear this group live quite a bit.  In
general, the more I knew the piece, the worse they sounded.  However, it
was at one of their concerts that 12 tone music FINALLY made some musical
sense to me.

Ken McGuire