From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 16:22:10 -0700
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>FS 135 probably refers to one of his art songs in the tradition of Weyse,
>but because the best of them are so great really is in the tradition of
>Mendelssohn and Schubert (see below, far below), of which there are
>literally hundreds.

The complete catalogue of Nielsen's works was published in 1965, edited by
Dan Fog and Tourben Schousboue.  FS is now been used to denote all his
works, most of which lack opus numbers.  Don't know what FS135 is, though!

I believe (ancient memory - no firm evidence) that the waltz in question
is part of 'Klavermusik for smaa og store' (Piano music for Young and Old),
Op. 53 FS148.  Published in 1930 in 2 volumes, I don't know when the
individual pieces were written, but they do give an impression of having
been assembled over time rather than written in one fell swoop.

>Tim, is this the part of the leitmotiv for that awful joke, "What happens
>when you throw a piano down a mine shaft? You end up with a flat miner.

Alas, no leitmotiv -- just an irresisteibly bad joke.

>You have to learn to write like Hemingway.

Can't -- he's dead.  That's why I can't write like Shakespeare either!  But
I am at least learning to drink like Hemingway!

>Maybe we could start a contest naming Nielsen's unnamed symphonies, which
>doesn't leave many, only the first and fifth.  How about sub-titling the
>Fifth the "Drum Roll In Time Of War" in honor of Haydn who I think Nielsen
>would have relished being associated with, although being an opera composer
>he had a natural affinity to Mozart.

Oh dear -- another challenge.  I shall have to put my thinking cap on.

Cheers.

Tim Mahon