From:
Gerardo Constantini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 11:35:06 -0600
Scott Morrison wrote:

>...  My wife and I heard Zimerman here in Kansas City; we counted
>ourselves lucky simply when he walked out on the stage, as he has a
>reputation for cancelling at the last moment.

Aha: well i am not sure about what i will say,but in many years i
listened this complaint about Zimmermann.  On e of the strong arguments
which explain this handiccap is his technique.He ussually suffers of muscle
track(sorry i doin't know the medical name for this desease),owns to his
technique wich is built with to much tension.  I think in anyway is better
for him to cancel engagements,instead to play a bad concert.In this way he
always will be remembered as the great Chopin pianist he is.

>The second half was the Schumann f# minor sonata, never one of my
>favorites, but he almost made me believe it was great music.  More
>important, he clearly does believe.  And played it so spontaneously that
>one would swear he was improvising.  'Now I think I'll go off in *this*
>direction.  No, I think I'll go back over *there*.  I like *this* patch,
>I think I'll play it again and mix it with *that* one.'

Well,actually the F#minor sonata Op.11 is (i think) not a work to be nice
and to say it sounds to me as great music.It is a great music.Is more than
that .  This masterpiece,was one of the early inspirations for the young
Scriabin in his first Opus,as well as many Chopin works.Maybe the problem
with some Schumann works,is the "aparent" lack of coherence in some
places.But it's only aparent.It could be own to his mental
retrogradation,but thanks to it,we can enjoy it.(of course is a personal
point of view).  Best wishes.

Gerardo Constantini:.