From:
Giuliano Finessi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 12:31:10 +0200
Derek Lim wrote:

>I don't think I ever read a complimentary review of a Mehta recording

How strange!  Mehta has been principal conductor of the 'Maggio Musicale
Fiorentino' for 13 years now, and every new season only consolidates
his reputation, both with his orchestra, which incidentally is one of
the most versatile and finest in Italy due to Mehta's programming which
always includes some masterpieces of this century (suffice to mention
Dallapiccola's 'Il Prigioniero' performed both at the 'Maggio' and at the
Salzburg festivals, a performance which received nothing but praise both
from critics and public).  His Bruckner interpretations are ranked amongst
the finest, that is here in Europe.  And of course as a conductor of opera
he is amongst the finest you can ever hope to hear.

Fortunately recordings have not completely substituted the appreciation of
music!

Giuliano Finessi