From:
Patrik Enander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 10:10:56 +0200
A friend of mine lend me a record the other week that is something out of
ordinary Mahler's music arranged by a jazz musician and pianist Uri Caine
(on Winter/Winter).  I'm not a great fan of Mahler ie, I haven't heard
that much, but this record I really enjoy.  Sometimes the music sound like
straight jazz, sometines like klezmer, Arabic music.  He has a guy playing
turntables on one track!  It is fascinating to heard the adagio from the
5:th symphony interpreted as a soft jazz song and the funeral march as a
piece of folk music played by a band from somwhere in eastern Europe!

A critic in a major Swedish newspaper hated the record, but in the German
magazine for classical music, FonoForum, it was the record of the month!
So this is someting for the adventurous.

Patrik Enander
Goteborg, Sweden
[log in to unmask] (home)