From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:45:04 -0400
Sliding in the thread from violin to keyboard, Steve Schwartz said:

>I, on the other hand, have never heard a harpsichord performance of Bach's
>solo keyboard music that has satisfied >me as much as the readings of any
>number of pianists.

To which Richard Pennycuick responded:

>I agree as a rule but around 3am the other day, I heard most of a
>harpsichord version of the Goldberg Variations on >the radio and loved it.
>I think I'll proceed cautiously because the thought of spending a fortune
>on harpsichord >WTCs, suites etc is worrying.

I'll add a third slight twist to this.  For some reason I had been
struggling to appreciate the Goldberg Variations.  I have the Gould CD and
had heard others, but it simply didn't click.  Then, on the recommendation
of a list member, I had the chance to pick up Wanda Landowska on the
harpsichord.  I listened and my first reaction was that this didn't sound
like any harpsichord I'd ever heard before.  (Not that I've heard that
many.) Her playing was muscular but full of shades and inferences.  Anyway,
after listening carefully several times, I returned to the Gould and found
it also much more satisfying.

I can't really explain why this happened.  But to my delight where
I formerly had a piece I didn't appreciate, I know appreciate BOTH
Harpsichord and piano versions.  Oh my goodness!  What are the implications
of this on MY pocketbook?

Ed