From:
James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 14:12:35 +0200
Richard Kapp <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Successful may not be the correct term, but certainly Lyadov was
>accomplished, although evidently terminally lazy.

When reading other peoples descriptions on Ljadov, I would nominate him
for the most lazy composer.  One can be surprised he achieved anything at
all.  At on time he told his mother (he lived at his mothers place, because
he was pennywise too): "Now IU need to compose this piece N, you are not
allowed to cook any food for me until I have composed it!".  He didn't
compose anything during the day...And in the evening he said to his mother:
"I am hungry!".  "No!", she replied as she was instructed, "You haven't
composed anything, so I haven't cooked any food for you!".  "Ok, then",
said the lazy composer, "I eat at my aunts place tonight".

With Glinka there might be another kind of laziness.  He insisted on to be
a nobleman, and a nobleman don't work like a shoemaker, he only gives us a
hint about what he could have did.  So if He had worked like a shoemaker we
could have had 5 operas perhaps, and half a dozen symphonies from Glinka.

When the deamons do their worst.

James Zehm