From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 07:24:26 -0500
David Cozy wrote:

>As one who loves Mexican music, I'm intrigued.  Has anybody heard any of
>Revueltas's music?  Reactions?

I have heard most everything of his with the exception of a few pieces
like Toka, Parias and Hora de junio.

I find an intensity in his music that is most appealing.  The comparison
with Ives is, to my thinking, a bit overstated, much in the same way in
which Vermeulen is compared to Ives.

Sensemaya by Revueltas (in the large orchestra version sans voice) is a bit
less characteristic of his music but is perhaps his most often performed
work.  A favorite of mine is a suite of music he wrote for a film La noche
de los Mayas.  Out of the 4 recordings I have of that work, I prefer an old
one on the Musart label.  While the playing is not the most "correct" it
captures the spirit of the music.

If you are looking for a tuneful romp through Mexico as in a work like
Galindo's Sones de mariachi, you will be disappointed.  The music of
Revueltas demands more from a listener, but I have found the music worth
the effort.

Karl