From:
Tom Godell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 16:49:59 -0500
Jim Tobin writes:

>There is nothing subtle about the piece, for sure, and the harmony is
>basic.  I wouldn't call the rhythm static, or the texts poorly set;
>rather, the former are designed to belt out the latter.

Oh, please!  Let me cite just one example of poor text setting.  Right at
the beginning of the Testament of Freedom, RT has the chorus sing:  "The
god who gave us life gave us liberty...  (then, after a pause) at the same
time..." When I first heard this, I thought that the words "At the same
time..." indicated the beginning of a new sentence.  Thus, the meaning--not
to mention the dramatic impact--of Jefferson's powerful statement are lost.

BTW, I say this as an admirer of other Thompson works, especially Symphony
2 and the other choral works that I've heard.

Tom Godell                                      e-mail: [log in to unmask]
General Manager, WSIU-FM                                web: www.wsiu.org
Southern Illinois University at Carbondale