From:
Stephanie Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 15:27:06 EDT
This is an interesting thread, and I'm thrilled to read about so many
people whose high school music experience inspired them to love and/or
continue study in classical music.  I agree with Mr. Zubrow that "a
teacher can make the difference," and it sounds as though his made a
positive difference.

My experience was somewhat different, and I think it might betray another
reason that some young people have trouble with classical music.  I have
studied with several music teachers in public school systems who made a
difference in a very negative way.  One teacher in particular construed
classical music to be an art which those of us who lack genius (or even
a considerable amount of talent) cannot participate in without somehow
profaning, and criticized her students accordingly (this was particularly
interesting in light of her own musical prowess).  Even though I was
lucky enough to have a wonderful piano teacher outside the school, there
were times when I felt so miserable as a musician because of the cruel
assessments of my band director that I contemplated (paradoxically) giving
all my musical studies up for the love of music.  Though I understand that
there are many, many excellent music teachers, if just one makes a student
feel that he/she is not "good enough" for classical music, I think it is a
small wonder that the student does not listen to it.

Stephanie