From:
Henk van Tuijl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 17:55:02 +0200
Deryk Barker wrote:

>Sorry Henk, but you just can't say they have their *facts* wrong when you
>are talking about whether playing is poetic or not, it's too subjective.

Deryk, An interesting question you raise here.  What do we say when we say
that someone's playing is poetic? Do we only mean to say that it is so in
our perception? Is there nothing "out there"? Doesn't the peformance of the
artist matter at all? In other words, is the audience the "creator" of a
poetical musical performance and not the musician? And suppose that this
were the case, should we not blame The Grammophone for hiring critics who
are obviously uncreative - as in the case of Duchable?

Regards, Henk