From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 15:25:05 -0500
Why should classical music be the exception to the trashing of teaching
all the great disciplines of Western discipline, not only the liberal arts
but the sciences as well, in our "great" universities? The high schools are
just one step back and a useful target for the universities to blame for
"ivy league" students who are less likely to know who Niels Bohr is than
who Beethoven is.  And thanks to the computer, they are now in the process
of learning less and less about more and more.

I have a couple of candidates for the cause of this decline of western
civilization.  But in the interest of cool-headedness and because I have
less right to throw lightning bolts since I have not been involved here for
a while, I will discretely leave that question blank.

BTW, what is this CM? It is beginning to be used like the Mormons use LDS,
or is it LSD? I can't seem to keep the two straight (-:)

Andrew E. Carlan