From:
Simon Corley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 19:18:12 -0800
Walter Meyer wrote:

>I have Davrath singing these songs on a 2-CD set by Vanguard (8001/2).  The
>set contains the 1st through 5th series and a group of fifteen additional
>songs under the grouping "New Songs of the Auvergne".  Pierre de la Roche
>conducts the otherwise unidentified orchestra for the five series and
>Gershon Kinglsey (sic), the "New Songs."

Does anyone know who is this "Pierre de la Roche"? What was he doing in
Vienna in 1963 when these series of songs were recorded? Has anyone heard
of other recordings or performances conducted by this strange unknown
conductor? Has anyone else noticed that his name looks like a redundant
pseudonym, "pierre" meaning "stone" or "rock" in French, and "roche" also
meaning "rock"?

Simon Corley