Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 18:30:44 -0500
From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Don Satz wrote:

>Todd McComb wrote:
>
>>Don Satz wrote:
>>
>>>It's simply "human" for a listener to be in awe of some of the
>>>works of favorite composers.
>>
>>I disagree with this sentiment.  This seems to me to be a dehumanizing
>>influence, causing a person to neglect their own talents.  I would hope
>>that no one would be in any long-term awe of the work of another human
>>since after all it is quite conceivable (in the literal sense) that they
>>could produce the same.
>
>My basic response is that every person does not possess the potential
>to accomplish every thing.  I also think that nothing about this issue
>involves aspects of "dehumanization" excepting perhaps for Todd's apparent
>view that that humans are capable of everything; that's the superman theory
>and not viable.

They are both right and wrong.  Obviously there are prodigiously gifted
individuals in every field who create things that most of us cannot aspire
to.  They deserve to be honored and respected.  Their accomplishments
should be recognized because we need as a culture to recognize creativity
and excellence.  BUT.....too much concern for what others are doing
ultimately can lead to a celebrity based culture -a People magazine
culture- which encourages people to live their lives vicariously.  Our
friendly benign media are all too willing to help us along this path.
And that is dehumanizing.

B Chasan