Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 19:25:13 +0100
From:
Esther Sims <[log in to unmask]>
I am a student interested in the music of Schoenberg, (although this is not
strictly in the classical period!.) What are people's views on serial music
- does it only appeal to people who have an informed musical background,
or can anyone listen to and appreciate it? The structure of such music may
sometimes be compared with established musical forms (e.g.  'Klavierstuck
op.33a has links with the classical sonata form) and fundamental elements
of music from previous eras are still there, but the tonality has been
completely obliterated - how does this affect the listener? If he/she needs
to really focus on what they are hearing and completely digest the music
(in an analytical way) before they can appreciate it, can it really be
classified as music? These are just a few things that have been going
through my mind whilst looking at serial music!  Any comments
appreciated.....

Esther Sims