Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 16 May 1999 10:34:07 -0400
From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Tom Connor wrote:

>I've been listening to the complete Ravel Daphnis et Chloe today.  It's the
>Munch/Boston Symphony performance.
>
>...  (By the way, the CD says it was recorded in 1955.  I thought my
>1958 Brahms 2nd with Munch and the BSO was supposed to be one of the first
>LIVING STEREO records, and this sounds like the early 60's vinyl I have.)

The Brahms was one of the earlier ones, but not the earliest.  E.g., There
were the Reiner Lt.  Kije/Song of the Nightingale; the Reiner Also Sprach
Zarthustra (the first Living Presence, I think) and several others--maybe
more than several, since I don't have the dates in front of me: there were
a lot of great recordings made in the second half of the Fifties on several
labels.  That great Living Presence series ranged from about 1954 to 1963
when RCA destroyed it with Dynagroove, and I think a lot of them were
before 1960.  Sorry, I don't have time to go over all the dates to be
sure.  (There are people who could tell you without looking it up!)

In the case of Daphnis, Munch made two BSO recordings.  One was in 1955 the
other around 1962.  The original vinyl of the earlier one had a greenish
cover and *I think* was issued only in mono. The second had a brown cover.
The earlier is considered the better by most--by me, anyway.  Incidentally,
as issued on Chesky vinyl, that 1955 recording is scrumptuous and one of
the few recordings to really capture the sweetness of the BSO strings.  In
terms of tone, and perhaps detail, I'd match it against most any modern CD.
I think Chesky issued this in CD.  Try it.

Ditto, by the way, that 1954 (or so) Reiner Prokofiev/Stravinsky recording.
Great performances, phenomenal sound.

Roger Hecht