Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 19:20:49 +0100
From:
David Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
John G. Deacon forwarded an article by Richard Morrison:

>   ..., Part One of the Eighth Symphony - that hurtling dash through
>   the ancient Catholic hymn Veni Creator Spiritus - is one of the most
>   ear-splitting, mind-blowing half-hours in all music.  (Unfortunately,
>   it's then followed by Part Two - but nothing is perfect.)

WTF is this person on!  I AM 18 years old and am therefore qualified to
disagree.  Part two is clearly the most accomplished.  It may not be the
big bang that Part One is, but when you get into it (which maybe he hasn't)
you realise what an amazing piece it is.  Just the introduction qualifies
it as a masterpiece - you could almost be riding round this mountain of
Holy Anchorites on a cloud.  I will be going to the one at the RAH - I have
not heard Sinopoli's rendition of it but I hope it will be something to
experience.

>Imagine my astonishment, then, to discover that next week London will
>enjoy not one but two unconnected performances ...

WHAT did I say about London....

>Many retreated into writing complex little pieces for complex little
>audiences.  By contrast, pop composers had no scruples about wooing
>millions with their music, but rarely developed the techniques to
>extend their art beyond the span of the four-minute song.

I have been recently trying to get into pop but he is right - it is never
(few notable exceptions) what you would call artful, at least when put
next to the examples of so many great composers that are loosely termed
'Classical'.

Nice article though.  It definitely rings some bells with me, being 18.
The resurrection and the eigth are undoubtedly my favourites.  Have never
really 'got' 9.

David Stewart