Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 10:39:03 -0500
From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Don Satz wrote:

>Although I don't claim any logic to this, I do hear this "Germanic core"...
>
>1.  When the music is "happy," it still possesses an "edge" and tint of
>sadness or melancholy.

There is a saying about Germans and Italians.  "In Germany, the situation
is serious but not hopeless.  In Italy, the situation is hopeless but not
serious." This may have some application to music.  I suppose in France
they spend all their time discussing the issue.

>3.  Its heroic and militaristic traits are distinctive and greatly
>appealing.

Not all of Beethoven's music, for example, can be called heroic.  That
appellation seems most apropos for the 3rd, 5th and 9th symphonies, the
5th piano concerto, and some of the overtures; also the large-scale piano
sonatas and the Rasoumovsky quartets.

>4.  An all-enveloping power, even during times of restraint.

Could you be more specific, maybe citing some specific works for example?

Chris Bonds