Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 08:38:20 -0600
From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Simon Corley replies to my description of Davrath:

>> I think there are better sopranos around in this repertoire.  Try Arlene
>> Auger or de los Angeles or even Upshaw. ...
>
>I guess it is the first time in two years I must disagree with Steve.

What????

>Los Angeles, Te Kanawa, von Stade, Upshaw - all of them excellent in
>this music - still remain prime donne. And these songs are not written
>for prime donne, but are to be sung as if they had been written for
>young peasants of the Auvergne!

Rereading what I wrote, I find I overstated the case against.  Davrath
had, as Simon points out, a simplicity of manner combined with a secure
technique that suits these songs down to the ground.  I still think Auger
better, however, because I prefer her sweeter sound.

Steve