From:
Tom Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 15:17:10 -0800
John Partin wrote:

>   I do think that home raised queens should produce inferior drones
> compared to a queen bought from a good queen raiser.  If you do not
> believe this you should study genetics a little and that might change
> your mind.

I have a general knowledge of genetics, but I can not see why you should
get inferior drones from the daughter of a good queen obtained from a
good source.  If you just allow your bees to requeen themselves
routinely with no attempt to select for good traits you could run
downhill.  But many knowledgable beekeepers routinely raise their own
queens and don't find the quality of their queens, thus the quality of
their drones, diminishes.

Tom

--
"Test everything.  Hold on to the good."  (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

Tom Elliott
Chugiak,  Alaska
U.S.A.