Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Bruce Guidotti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 00:02:53 EDT
In a message dated 7/16/99 10:48:49 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< I personally think that some type of a screen to let mites fall and
treating
just once a year is the way to go.  However, I think those that try this and
do not have a way to prevent the mites from crawling to where they can catch
a bee will be disappointed with the results. >>

Lloyd:

I have been using a so called varroa trap on my largest hive this year.
I have it above the bottom board.
One of the disadvantages is that the bees can't clean the bottom board as
they would if they had access to it.
What about all the debris that collects under the screen on the bottom board.
It is kind of tough to scrape out given the bees are really plentiful and it
has been hot in the NE this year so the bees usually beard over the entrance
most days and nights?
It requires waiting for a coolish night, smoking the bearded bees off,
removing the block under the trap, scraping without other bees getting under
the screen.
 Beyond that, it is tough to scrape thoroughly.
Is decaying matter on the bottom board under the screen a risk to the bees?
Seems rather unhygenic to me.
Anyone read anything. Have any opinions?
Bruce