From:
Ernest Huber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 09:54:26 -0500
Hello BEE-L,
        Today's discussion of purebred Buckfast Bees was very timely for me.
I too have been bothered with agressive Buckfast Bees and I have become
concerned that the ones from Texas may be getting Africanized. Recently my
wife and I gave a slide show and talk to our local (Middlesex County
Beekeeping Association in Mass. USA) about gardens and beekeeping in
Southwest England. On our trip there we had a delightful visit to Buckfast
Abbey which confirmed Scott Moser's comments about Weaver's not paying
royalties to Buckfast Abbey and not, as a result, receiving infusions of new
stock. Buckfast Abbey does not make a big deal about this because they are
first and foremost a religious society. But as a result of our slide show I
have had many people ask me for the address of the Canadian breeders who do
breed the pure Buckfast strain. Thanks to Allen Dick for providing them. The
BEE-L discussion came just one day before our next club meeting. How did you
know?
                                        Ernie Huber