From:
Ray Bayles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 14:20:57 -0600
www.everycd.com has great prices if you buy enough over the
year to cover the $39 membership.  Berkshire Record Outlet
(www.berkshirerecoutlet.com) is no longer low priced but sometimes has
recordings you can no longer get elsewhere.  Naxos remains the best site
for high quality, low priced CD's and you can get a catalog by e-mailing
[log in to unmask]  www.musicblvd.com and www.cdnow.com sometimes have
good prices on special promotions, but in general are not low priced.

Other than Naxos, the best prices I have found consistently are suprisingly
bmg and Columbia record clubs...  Over a four year period during which I
purchased over 550 CD's, these two clubs were the least expensive...  I
averaged $5.79 per CD including shipping.  But I know what I am looking
for, do not buy the new releases, and wait for their $1.99, $2.99, $3.99
and three for the price of one deals.

You can also look for bargain labels from some of the major producers...
EMI has a couple, as does Phillips.  Look for Seraphim which you can
usually depend upon to be good recordings...  EMI and Philips have
twofers...

Just be patient...  there are so many to buy...  keep lists...  CD's that
are high priced now will eventually be discounted as the stores and mail
order or on-line companies clear their shelves for new releases...  then
be ready to instantly make a decision to purchase on the spot as these
remaindered CD's won't last long.

Keep copies of the postings from this list, as well as notes from Fanfare,
Gramophone, and other recorded music journals you respect...  sooner or
later their top recommendations will become available cheaply...

There is no reason to pay $16.95 or $17.95, but it will take planning to
get deals consistently.

Ray Bayles