From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 16:07:24 PDT
The Brahms clarinet sonatas are autumnal works of great beauty which have
been mentioned frequently on the list.  To perform these works well, the
artists must fully project this autumnal quality and be in full unison; the
sound must be on the subtle side and project an aura of resigned peace.

Based on a review of praise in ARG, I purchased a new disc of the clarinet
sonatas coupled with a clarinet sonata of Hans Gal (1898-1995).  The Gal
composition, although relatively modern, is steeped in tradition and is a
much more lively affair than the Brahms.  The new disc is on the Campanella
label and features Hans Klaus on clarinet and Nerine Barrett on piano.

The reviewer considered the performances an "extremely perceptive coupling
that will be difficult to surpass...  these exciting performances leave no
stone unturned." That's probably correct - even the stones were turning
downward to avoid the music.

My perception of the recording is quite different.  Some of the notes I
made while listening are:

a.  Sound is "in your face." It hits you like a gale wind and never lets
up.  This is a vicious winterized sound.

b.  The clarinet playing is also in your face.  So little nuance and
subtlety.  I really had the feeling that this was the playing of an
amateur.

c.  Whatever the clarinet is up to, the piano just does its own thing.
I detected no partnership, just two soloists doing whatever without any
recognition of one another.

I have never heard such a poor performance of the clarinet sonatas.
Everything about it was wrong-headed to me.  Of course, the reviewer
would not agree.  Do any of you have this recording? What do you think?

Don Satz