From:
Hitoshi Asaoka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 20:54:34 -0500
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'm not any expert on violinists, but hasn't Vengerov been around long
>enough to no longer be included in the "new crop"? In addition, isn't he
>considered one of the three best violinists these days along with Anne -
>Sophie Mutter and Shaham? I'm trying to keep current with the "media"
>controlled rankings.

I have not really followed this thread, but I agree with you.  This
season (98-99) in Twin Cities, we've been blessed with almost all the top
violinists in the world, such as Joshua Bell, Itzhak Perlman, Anne-Sophie
Mutter, Christian Tetzlaff, Pinchas Zukerman, Pamela Frank, Augustin Dumay,
Hilary Hahn, Midori, Cho-Lian Lin, Chee-Yun, Sarah Chang and Maxim
Vengerov.  Taking advantage of being able to buy student rush tickets, I
was able to go to most of these concerts.  Anyway the point is that the
most impressive violinists among them were Mutter and Vengerov.  Both of
them were not quite my favorite violinists (judging from some recordings
they made) before I heard them in live.

Mutter played Beethoven's violin concerto with the Minnesota Orchestra with
such a beatiful tone.  I'm literally stunned with her massive sound.  With
her enormous dignity on the stage, I thought that her stage presence could
not be equaled with any other soloists.

Vengerov played Brahms' violin sonata No.2, Prokofiev's sonata, Ravel's
Tzigane and other Paganini/Sarasate-like pieces.  His tone was not as
massive as Mutter, but, I was stunned with his perfect technique and pitch.
He was really good in slow movements also, in particular, Prokofiev.
Personally I thought he might be the only violinist who could produce
various tones that Prokofiev desired (his 'sarcastic' tones were really
good).  At that time, he reminded me Heifetz, although I have never heard
Heifetz in live.

*** Hitoshi Asaoka ([log in to unmask]) ***