From:
Aaron Rabushka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 00:04:58 -0500
I have some very fond memories of Beecham's Carmen with de Los Angeles,
Gedda, Blanc, and Michaeu in the leads.  It has been some time since I've
heard it, but I recall it as a good one.  One that is surprisingly good
is the LaserLight Carmen that I picked up a while ago for four bucks, a
Bulgarian recording whose cast escapes me now.  The woman who sings Carmen
excellently projects the character--totally self-centered and not caring
who she craps on to get what she wants.  Jose and Escamillo are likewise
very good, as are the orchestra and most of the remaining singers--only
Micaela leaves me wanting better.  Their French diction may drive you nuts,
but this production certainly want nothing for drama and guts.

Aaron J. Rabushka
http://www.cowtown.net/users/arabushk/