From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 16:11:23 -0400
Tissaphern Mirfakhrai wrote:

>I am going to Vancouver to continue my studies.I was wondering if any of
>the list members could kindly inform me of radio stations in British
>Columbia and Vancouver which mainly broadcast classical music.

CBC-FM is your obvious starting point, and probably Canada's best single
source of CM.

CBC Radio co-sponsors and airs many concerts across the country, and also
has an OK CM CD label.  One of the institutions that provides this immense,
thinly-populated country with some cultural glue, the CBC has greatly
deteriorated over my 30 years in this country.  Bureaucrats continue to look
for ways to "save" money by chipping away at its budgets -- even at the risk
of further eroding what differentiates us Canadians from those to the south
(like a mouse in bed with an elephant, Trudeau said), accelerating the
gradual 'californication' of Canadian culture, as some journalist put it.
Even Charlton Heston is making headlines here now, spreading the National
Rifle Association's good word about changes to Canadian laws so we can all
become gun-totin' freedom lovers.

But I digress: despite all this, the CBC remains first-rate by any (extant)
standard.  AFAIK, only "Great" Britain's BBC -- which has suffered its own
decline in recent years -- exceeds what you're likely to get "here" in terms
of CM.

Here in "Eastern" Canada we have 2 English CBCs and 2 French, so there's
always some CM on; sometimes you get to choose.  With a bit of luck, you'll
get maybe one French CBC station in (very non-French) Vancouver, British
Columbia.

Good luck.

Bert Bailey, in Ottawa, and in a grumbly, mumbly mood