From:
"John G. Deacon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 14:52:30 +0200
Perhaps the following joke, which I have just found, and which dates back
to the Gorbachov era is worth an airing?

At the time this story was going the rounds of the Turkish capital, Ankara.

Yildirim Akbulut, the country's (then) newly installed Prime Minister,
makes his first trip to Moscow, taking his wife.  Whilst Akbulut is
immersed in talks with Mikhail Gorbachov, the wives of the two leaders
chat among themselves.

"My husband gave me an Anadol (a Turkish car) when he became Prime Minister
says Mrs Akbulut beaming.  Raisa Gorbachov frowns.  "Personally, I would
have preferred a Picasso," she says.

"Ooh." says Mrs Akbulut "How many doors does that have?"

Seeing that her question does not go down well, Mrs Akbulut later repeats
the conversation to her husband.  "Oh, my God." says the Turkish Prime
Minister.  "They will think we are idiots.  Never mind, my dear, but make
sure you go out and buy a swimming costume."

"Why do I need a swimming custume?" asks Mrs Akbulut, puzzled.

"Because the Gorbachovs have asked us to go to Swan lake with them
tomorrow," replies her husband.

John G. Deacon     http://www.holidayhome.co.uk/deacon.html