From:
James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 1999 14:31:34 +0200
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]> replies to me:

>James Zehm comments on my unintentional pun:
>
>>>Mostly lacking becuse they seem to not understand the musical maxims
>>>Shostakovich music needs...
>>
>>But Maxim Sjostakovitj understands Sjostakovitjs maxims.
>>
>>I'm not joking - listen to the Sjostakovitj Piano concerto nr.2 with Maxim
>>and Dimitrij Jr.
>
>Well, I disagree; of course arguing on who understands someones music the
>best - for instance a son of the composer, is futile. ...

If you read again what I have written you will see I have nowhere claimed
neither that Maxim Sjostakovitj is the best Sjostakovitj interpreter, nor
that he is the best because he is the son of the great Dimitrij.  To
believe that is always the fact one also must believe John Mauceris father
was a baboon.

>To my simple ears and musical understanding, and after having studied
>Shostakovich music intensely for many years - having heard most of Maxims
>recordings, (spread on labels; Melodyia, Chandos, Collins, Supraphon and
>Philips) must say ...

You lucky devil who have heard so much Sjostakovitj - I wished I had
too!!...If I only were richer!  But what I have heard I don't think
Sjostakovitjs Sjostakovitj is so bad, but I can agree that there are other
that does him better, i.e.  Rozhdestvensky.  That unconventional Mravinsky,
with his splendid 1948 Sjosty 8, I don't dare to bring up.

>he takes his fathers notes far to literal, rendering his interpretations a
>homogenic sence of lacking tension.  Maxim conducts the notes but he does
>not hear the music, and still He is a quite skilful conductor, but wen
>performing Dmitri Sr.'s music he haven't the ability to free himself from
>the fact that he is the "genius" son.

I think his got a pretty humble approach to the music....but of course I
coulkd be wrong...have not heard so much.

Anyone familiar with non-Sjostakovijs Sjostakovitj conducting?

James Zehm