From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 1999 14:54:44 -0700
Leighton M. Gill ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Noboru Inoue <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>
>>By the way, Mr. Stockhausen, why your CD's are so expensive? It's almost
>>double the average one.
>
>Probably because those who can be duped into actually believing that
>Stockhausen's works are music can be duped into paying more for them.

Well you're gonna have to define what you mean by music Leigh, afore I'll
agree with ye.

A few weeks ago I was driving from Leicester to Birmingham and turned on
BBC Radio 3 in midstream.  The work being played was evidently modern and
for winds, so I can't claim I deduced what it was entirely unaided.  But
it *sounded* so familiar, surely it was Stockhausen's Zeitma"sse?

'twas indeed and, considering I hadn't heard it in probably 30 years,
surely some kind of proof that his music is more than a mere collection of
noises - presumably not a million miles from your own point of view? I'm
not suggesting I could hum or whistle it, but dammit, it *is* memorable.

Deryk Barker