From:
Tore F Steenslid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 02:17:05 +0200
Billy Kitson wrote:

>Have the "Ethnic" TV on here @1320Hours - it is 1/2 Freezing out!!  Who was
>Jon Leifs; did he fall foul of The Nazis?? Was/Is the Music "memorable"??
>Why the Movie?? I'm Curious (in More ways than One)

I have Leifs' Saga Symphony and it's certainly very memorably music.  Each
of the five movements are based upon Norse sagas.  The only symphony I know
about which includes sword fights!  The only recording is available on BIS
CD-730, with Iceland symphony orchestra conducted by Osmo Vanska.  It was
released in 1995.

Leifs' wife were Jewish so they run into problems during the war.  They
managed to keep a low profile and avoid the consentration camps.  They got
out of Germany in early 1944.  There are a little more info about this in
the notes to the Saga Symphony.

Tore F. Steenslid
http://tore.hivolda.no/