From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:31:01 PDT
David Stewart wrote:

>I have been recently trying to get into pop but he is right - it is never
>(with a few notable exceptions) what you would call artful, at least when
>put next to the examples of so many great composers that are loosely termed
>'Classical'.

Oh my, another list member who considers 'Classical' a loose designation.
I was loose too when I was 18 years old, but I've tightened up since then.
To me, the term is fairly exacting.

>The resurrection and the eighth are undoubtedly my favourites.

Mahler's fourth is my top choice, followed by 7, 9, 3, 5, and 6.  Mahler's
1st, 2nd, and 8th are far behind.  Next year the order could be reversed.
I do expect to get a stale feeling about the 4th, but it has yet to happen.

Don Satz