From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 18:20:50 -0400
Donald Satz wrote:

>Roger also mentioned the operas, string quartets, and symphonies of
>Zemlinsky.  I have found the operas variable in quality but definitely
>worth knowing.

Probably true.  Schreker probably wrote the better--or maybe more
appealing--operas overall.  But, I agree, the Zemlkinsky operas are worth
knowing.

Florentine Tragedy is a one-acter, short, thorny but not too much so, and
a tight, seedy drama.

Der Geburtstag der Infantin (or the Dwarf) is more lyrical, maybe a better
place to start. Either that or Kleider machen Leute, which is a delightful,
lyrical comedy. I like Serema a lot, though it's earlier, sort of Russian.
Very dynamic. Start with maybe the second two, then Forentine or Sarema.

Der Kreiderkreis I'd wait on: too much dialogue for me.

Roger Hecht