From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 13:38:34 PDT
Bob Kasenchak wrote:

>Do you know the infrequently-recorded S-S string quartets? I never heard
>them till I got an Eroica CD (local little label in Santa Fe) by the
>Equinox String Quartet.  Recommended.

I've heard of that label.  I live just 50 miles from Santa Fe but rarely
go there; the parking is a pain.  [http://www.eroica.com/  -Dave]

I do have the S-S string quartets on the Conifer label performed by the
Miami String Quartet; they are coupled with the Franck quartet.  This is
a fine recording of excellent music.  I believe that the S-S quartets have
had a relatively rich discography over the past year.  Dynamic and Koch
have also recorded them.

Don Satz

 [Prior to 1998, I believe the string quartets had received only one CD
 issue:  Viotti Quartet on Erato, released in 1987 and long since deleted.
 Now we have at least five:  Equinox on Eroica, Koeckert on Calig, Miami on
 Conifer, Medici on Koch, and Venice on Dynamic.  Truly amazing.  -Dave]