From:
Mark Knezevic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:46:36 +0800
I think I asked about the existance of Serbian composers (and their music
mind you:P) about a year ago now.  If I turned on my other computer I could
get their exact replies - notwithstanding that I was given the chance to
follow up on some replies but I couldn't be bothered, something which is
now coming back to haunt me:P.

Anyway ... Rimsky-Korsakov wrote a work "Variations on Serbian Themes"
for Orchestra, a work which will be performed later in the year by the
West Australian Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Vladimir Verbitsky.  I'm
looking forward to that at least.  It seems that Tchaikovsky was not the
only Russian inclined to dedicate (to be inspired by) a work to Serbia.

Haydn apparently was interested in the folk music that existed in the
Balkans when he was alive and I think some of the themes found their
way into his works ...  I'm not sure about this but I remember hearing
something along the lines of that anyway.

As for 'real' Serbian, or any sort of Balkan peoples, composers, I don't
know of any, apart from Stevan Mokranjac which I have only just heard of.

-Mark Knezevic
http://www.iinet.net.au/~dydx/