From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 11:34:14 -0500
Bernard Chasan replies to Mark Shanks:

>>What the heck - it beats yet ANOTHER cooking show, British mystery, nature
>>special on bugs, Frontline investigation on toll-road garage rip-offs,
>>John Tesh/Yanni music-a-thon, or episode of "Are You Being Served".  All
>>I can add is that I will watch the first installment before passing any
>>judgement, but I think we should be grateful for ANY exposure, given the
>>history of extreme neglect so far.
>
>You are on target. I think that people are at long last are pointing out
>that the PBS emperors no longer have clothes, Tesh/Yanni clinches it.

The hell of it is that at least one US Senator has fulminated against
PBS as "elitist." So the Tesh and the Yanni are now the property of
the "elite." I just finished reading a review of symphonies by Fibich
(contemporary with Janacek, but died around 1900), written by Wilfrid
Mellers on www.mvdaily.com.  Folks, we don't even show up on the radar.

Steve Schwartz