From:
Mark Shanks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 06:52:04 -0700
John Dalmas writes:

>Is it too late, in Horowitz's words, "to hope for something better
>from public television:something more timely, more challenging, ...

Not so very long ago, I bemoaned the fact that there was **nothing** on
PBS about "classical music".  Oh, sure, we had old fatso come on and belt
out a few sweaty tunes when it was fund-raising time, but that was it.  SO
- when I saw the first ads on PBS for this "Great Composers" series, I had
to shut my mouth.  Yes, I would like something "more" - after all, we get
some pretty hokey come-ons in the single spot I've seen to date (as in the
"single time they (Mozart and Beethoven) met!!" with portentious music
playing, and the announcer quoting Mozart as saying "Watch out for him!!).
What the heck - it beats yet ANOTHER cooking show, British mystery, nature
special on bugs, Frontline investigation on toll-road garage rip-offs,
John Tesh/Yanni music-a-thon, or episode of "Are You Being Served".  All
I can add is that I will watch the first installment before passing any
judgement, but I think we should be grateful for ANY exposure, given the
history of extreme neglect so far.

I DO have trouble with the remark that "For some time now, the canon of
Western classical music has not defined what is musically best and most
prestigious." I simply don't know what to make of it.  It sounds as though
Mr. Horowitz is picking a fight, but with whom?

Mark