From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 17:39:24 -0400
I have just seen a rather interesting documentary entitled Small Wonders.
It is about a violin teacher who runs the Violin Program in three East
Harlem (New York) public schools.  The program was to be cut by the
powers-that-be who make such decisions, usually within the cultural and
intellectual vacuums of their own minds where they are told that the
arts are not important.  In any case, the teacher was able to rally such
luminaries as Isaac Stern, Arnold Steinhardt, and many others, to raise
funds for the program via a concert that these artists would play in with
all her students before a packed Carnegie Hall.  As interesting as this
concert is, the real story of the documentary is her teaching the kids.
She really has a presence, and the way she imparts the violin and music,
and the way it is absorbed by her students is the crux of the movie.  I
found it in a public library, but I suspect that the larger video stores
might carry it as well.

Roger Hecht