From:
Luis M Afonso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 14:44:17 +0000
Ulvi Yurtsever <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Just curious: what specifically was "jazzy" about this performance? In
>all my listening, I never felt anything jazzy in the 2nd mvmnt of op.111,
>and I have over a dozen recordings of the piece.

Yesterday, I redeem from my sin (of not having a single recording of
Beethoven Late Piano Sonatas) and bought the DG double with Kempff playing
the last four.  After another listening to Op. 111 I felt the same.  After
the slow introduction of the II.  mov., there is a section in the arietta
where Beethoven makes a random voyage through the major scale (I am sorry
if I can't explain this better, but my technical knowledge is diminute).
Being not a major jazz music fan, I find that result very close to that
genre of music.  I don't know if this make sense to you or not, nut that's
what I feel.  What is funny is that my girlfriend and a friend of ours felt
exactly the same, even before you share the the comments.  That friend of
ours didn't attend the concert, he knows the music through Brendel.

>You mean you don't have them all yet?:)

Guess I have missing something, haven't I? I'll try to change this in a
near future.

Luis
The Portuguese Classical Music Site:
http://www.terravista.pt/Meco/2672/