From:
"John G. Deacon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 14:20:45 +0200
Kar-Ming Chong <[log in to unmask]> referred to the marvellous account
of the Wanderer Fantasy by Sviatoslav Richter on the EMI Red Line budget
series. Philip Peters also spoke highly of it.

This recording was made in the Salle Wagram (Paris) in June 1963 and the
story reached the EMI offices about the sessions the night before.  They
had begun late in the evening and as midnight passed nothing, it seems, had
been committed to tape.  The atmosphere was heavy with cigarettes and it
looked as if nothing would be achieved.  Richter continued at the keyboard,
sometimes playing, sometimes doodling.

Then, at some time after 3 a.m., so the story went, Richter began to
play - the recorders were rolling and either this piece - or the equally
wonderful performance of the Sonata in A (D.664) - or both - were recorded
right through without a break.

The sessions ended in the early hours.  I am glad that there are others who
share my enthusiasm for these superb recordings.  There was, by the way, a
4CD Richter set on EMI with the Grieg/Schumann, Beethoven 3, Mozart 22, 3
Beethoven Sonatas and these Schubert pieces.  Worth finding - but the Red
Line is a great bargain.

John G. Deacon  http://www.ctv.es/USERS/j.deacon