From:
Henk van Tuijl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 23:45:45 +0200
Donald Satz wrote:

>It's funny how some artists get "beyond" the label they record for, while
>others are stuck in the "house pianist" category.  Lortie, Howard, Shelley
>appear stuck in the Chandos house, while Hough has risen above it, as
>Hamelin has for Hyperion.  Maybe it is just the talent, since Hough and
>Hamelin are a league above the others.  It likely takes a special talent
>to reach the top without being on a major label.

Hamelin is indeed in a different league in particular because of his
choice of repertoire and his excellent performance of it - setting a
standard.  Although I an familiar with Howard and Shelley I do not remember
ever having heard Hough's name, but on this list.  Or is he one of those
British youngsters who once won the concours in Moscow? By the way, it
would be interesting to know if DG considers to release Gulda's version of
the complete Beethoven sonata's on CD.  He once was a phenomenal pianist.

Regards, Henk