From:
John Detwiler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 18:30:42 EST
This is my favorite piece of music, bar none.  I usually avoid naming
favorites, but every time I'm asked, it's the first thing that pops into
my head, so I figure my instinct is right.  Everybody says that it's a
depressing piece of music, and I agree on some points, but I always have
difficulty concentrating on the rest of the symphony when the second
movement (the Burleske, I think) is so prominently in my mind.  It is the
most uplifting part of any piece of music that I can think of.  There's a
place where the bass trombone (and tuba?) introduce the second theme, when
I hear it, I have no choice but to grin, and stop whatever I'm doing.

But back to seperating an entire piece of music from its individual parts.
When listening to music, I often hear moments, melodies, specific changes
in harmony, but not the whole picture.  Even when seriously listening, I
find it difficult not just to concentrate on one part at a time.  (I have
difficulty hearing key relationships between pieces as well...  I have a
great ear for most other things, but once a new movement begins, my mind
instantly adapts.) Any idea what might help, because I'm sure I'm missing
something that would make music even more interesting.

~John~