From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 09:09:52 PST
John Dalmas wrote:

>Jay Nordlinger, the "new" music critic for National Review, writes
>this week that Andre Previn is IT.  "As it stands," he writes,
>"(Previn) is the great man of music in the world today."

If nothing else, Mr. Nordlinger appears culturally limiting and sexist.
I doubt that Previn means much in Asia, the Middle East, Africa, or Latin
America.

Even in the western world, the significance of Previn is debatable.  I
think that a hundred years from now Previn will just be a small footnote in
musical history along with the likes of Alice Cooper and Michael Jackson.
I know that in my musical world, Previn has zero significance.

This does bring up the question of which classical artist of the 20th
century will be regarded by future generations as the most significant.
Some possibilities might include Boulez, Schoenberg, Gardiner, Harnoncourt,
and Scelsi.  But, it's hard enough to get a decent handle on the "present."

Don Satz