From:
John Dalmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 21:32:37 -0500
David Shields wrote:

>(Alexander's) father, Nikolai,  was the most progressive composer on the
>faculty at the (St. Petersburg) Conservatory at the time . . .

Mention should be made that prior to his teaching stint Nikolai was
conductor of the Belaiev concerts in the city (from 1901) and in charge of
opera at the Maryinsky.  More importantly, and for his son's career as
well, was Nikolai's long association with Serge Diaghilev, conducting
ballet and opera for the great impresario from 1908-14..  A remarkable
family, to say the least, and perhaps we shall hear more:  Ivan is survived
by two brothers and four children.

Did anyone mention the Olympia CD entitled "The Tcherepnin Family,"
featuring works by all three?

John Dalmas